VKA - Virginia Kidd Agency
Unsolicited Electronic Query Requirements
We get a lot of queries. Consequently, we only accept those that
are formatted to streamline the process. Please check your query
carefully to see that it meets the following requirements before sending
- Email Headers:
- Put the title of your work in the email subject line
- Address your query to email@example.com
- When querying multiple agencies, do not CC your email. Use BCC.
- Email Body:
- No attachments: all content must be in the body of the message
- No images: all content must be text
- No colored text: black text on white backgrounds
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point minimum (non-HTML text is acceptable)
- A brief message about you and your goals
- Your promotional channels and efforts, if any
- Your bibliography, if any
- Any relevant industry information, if any:
- Co-authored works
- Previous representation
- Award nominations
- A brief synopsis in text format (no .doc or .docx or other attachments)
- The first 1-3 chapters of the work in text format (no .doc or .docx)
Electronic Manuscript Requirements
(if we request your manuscript)
- Upon printing out, manuscripts must be one-sided, on 8.5x11 sheets, with minimum 1" margins.
- Lines: double-spaced.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point minimum
- Paragraphs: indent the first line five spaces.
- Italics: indicate by underlining.
- Hyphenation: Don't. The publisher takes care of that.
- Blank lines: center a # character in the line.
- First page top: your real name, e.g. "Jane Deering"
- First page, top right: reasonably accurate word count.
- First page, dead center: Story Title.
- Immediately after title: "by Janette Doe" — pen name can go here.
- Omit copyright notice and rights statements.
- Begin the body of the work one blank line under "by Janette Doe"
- On subsequent pages, last name and page number at upper right: "Deering/2"
- Last page: Center the word "end"
Print a few pages. Make sure the pages come out as described above.
Click here to return to the VKA home page